
The results of Match Day are in! Yesterday we gathered at the medical school at 11:00 am with all 200 of Richard's classmates. Envelopes with each student's name were drawn out of a bin one by one. Inside this envelope was a letter that would tell us where our next five years would be spent.
Richard's name was called in the first half, at about 11:15. He had told me that he wanted to open the letter by himself on his way back to me so that he could have a minute to process what it said and then he could watch my reaction while I read the letter after him. As he walked back I could see him open the envelope and then I had to turn away because I did not want to see his reaction. My heart was pounding!!! A minute later he came up behind me and handed me the letter...
The results are:
Transition Year: St. Joseph's Hospital in Milwaukee
Radiology Residency: Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee
We are thrilled! Both of these programs were our number one choices on our rank lists! Richard interviewed at some great programs and we knew that no matter where we went that we would be happy and have five more wonderful years. But, Milwaukee is where we wanted to stay and these two programs were at the top of our lists.
During this whole process I had always felt that we had a good chance of staying here for residency, but once our rank lists were submitted I began to think about the odds of us getting both of our number one choices. I felt like it was nearly impossible and so I began to prepare myself for the fact that we would be moving.
Well, definitely not impossible, because it happened! We are grateful to be staying here. We both really like the two programs Richard matched into. He will have great training with doctors he very much respects. We get to stay with wonderful friends. We get to experience five more fantastic years in Milwaukee. We couldn't be happier!
So, there you have it. The Leakes will be in good ol' Milwaukee for five more years! And, in the excitement of the morning and in my sleep deprived state, this is the only picture I thought to take. Can you tell we are happy?!

Richard's name was called in the first half, at about 11:15. He had told me that he wanted to open the letter by himself on his way back to me so that he could have a minute to process what it said and then he could watch my reaction while I read the letter after him. As he walked back I could see him open the envelope and then I had to turn away because I did not want to see his reaction. My heart was pounding!!! A minute later he came up behind me and handed me the letter...
The results are:
Transition Year: St. Joseph's Hospital in Milwaukee
Radiology Residency: Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee
We are thrilled! Both of these programs were our number one choices on our rank lists! Richard interviewed at some great programs and we knew that no matter where we went that we would be happy and have five more wonderful years. But, Milwaukee is where we wanted to stay and these two programs were at the top of our lists.
During this whole process I had always felt that we had a good chance of staying here for residency, but once our rank lists were submitted I began to think about the odds of us getting both of our number one choices. I felt like it was nearly impossible and so I began to prepare myself for the fact that we would be moving.
Well, definitely not impossible, because it happened! We are grateful to be staying here. We both really like the two programs Richard matched into. He will have great training with doctors he very much respects. We get to stay with wonderful friends. We get to experience five more fantastic years in Milwaukee. We couldn't be happier!
So, there you have it. The Leakes will be in good ol' Milwaukee for five more years! And, in the excitement of the morning and in my sleep deprived state, this is the only picture I thought to take. Can you tell we are happy?!
8 comments:
yay! how exciting! i'm so happy for you FOUR! :)
Congrats! Sooo happy for you guys! You look great for just having a baby last week!
I am so happy and so thrilled for you! And because You are staying!
Congrats! I am so glad you got your first choice. You look so happy and your little one looks so cute.
Yeah! Congratulations! What a big time for your family with this great news and a new baby. We are so happy for you. Bridget looks very sweet and I hope she gets her days and nights sorted out soon ;)
congrats on that cute little baby & congrats with matching! We miss Milwaukee-glad you get to enjoy it for a while longer!
Congratulations Leakes! That's so exciting!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful news!!! Now you can buy a house!!
Post a Comment