Last week Richard and I took our first vacation without children and it was wonderful! My sweet mother flew out to be the baby-sitter and we sure appreciated it. We didn't do anything big: with a small budget, limited time, and I will admit, this being our first time going away overnight, I didn't want to go too far. Anyway, Chicago was the perfect option for us. We spent three days away and came back rested, refreshed, and somewhat missing our children. :)
Richard got us a steal of a deal on our hotel using Priceline. We stayed at the Millennium Knickerbocker, a four star hotel right downtown for only $60 a night!

We visited the Museum of Contemporary Art. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought and found that some modern art really can be quite interesting. Here's the display outside the building.

Here's a picture of one of my favorite pieces. Peacock feathers!

And my least favorite. Art. Really?

They had a traveling exhibit on the top floor entitled, "Art, Love & Politics in the 1980s". This was actually pretty interesting and also somewhat disturbing at the same time. But, here's one display, sorry its blurry.

Each TV was playing a different station and over the top of each one in big, black, bold letters were written words like, "Self-censorship", "People with Aids". Richard noticed that the TV on the top right was BYUTV! It reads, "No Criticism". Made us chuckle.

I had to take a picture of this. This was great! But, what was it doing in this museum? I think it was misplaced.

On our way out we stopped in the gift shop and found this great literary work.

We also ate on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building. I loved it! Richard, not so much. As many of you know, Richard is terrified of heights, but he was actually the one who suggested this idea. I was so proud of him! But, as our reservation time got closer, Richard got more and more nervous. Here we are waiting for the elevator to take us up 95 floors! I love Richard's expression. :)

And here I am at our table. It was all Richard could do to take this picture. We were at a table with four chairs. I sat right by the window and Richard sat on the other side at the far chair. He wanted to be as close to the middle of the room as possible.

Here are the views from up there. It was a cloudy day, but probably better for Richard. They said that on a clear day you can see four states.



One last picture, that's a tall, tall building!

We also walked up and down the Magnificent Mile every day going into just about every store. But, we did what some would claim to be impossible, we only spent $5 there! I have friends who are shocked at this, but its true, we left with a $5 Garfield shirt for Marshall from H&M. :)
It sure was nice to get away and just enjoy each other without kids to take care of. Thanks again to my wonderful mom for coming; we appreciate it and we love you!
Ah...I'm already planning our next kid-free getaway. :)
1 comment:
Honestly, Katie and I were so impressed with your ability to not shop more at the magnificent mile! If the three of us went together, I would never let you get away with that :) So fun. I hope to make it down there this summer.
Post a Comment