I am posts and posts behind about our life, but I have a few minutes to write, and I need to.
Just this afternoon, Rachel caught me off guard and came to me crying. She was crying because she told me this was not our house. Stab to the heart. She hasn't had this problem since mid-July...and here we are two months later, and for some reason, this concern of her's has resurfaced.
At the time, Gretchen was crying, so I consoled her first. Meanwhile, Rachel made her way upstairs to her bedroom, crying. After I calmed Gretchen down, I went upstairs and Rachel and I just snuggled on the couch, at her request. She calmed down as soon as I picked her up and wrapped her in her two favorite blankets. As we sat on the couch together, my mind turned to our little green house on 121st St. in Wauwatosa. Mentally, I walked through each room, and I had a deep longing for the comfort of those walls and the familiarity of that house.
Those thoughts led to all our friends who we left behind there. It hurt to think that none of them have seen Gretchen. I miss the warmth, familiarity, and friendship we had with neighbors there. And I desperately miss Anna and Lara. I have been more than taken care of by my mom and sister-in-law since having Gretchen, but I desperately miss having two amazing friends just blocks from my house who usually seemed to know what I needed even before I did.
Sigh. Moving is hard. Overall, I think we are adjusting fairly well. But it is moments like these that punch me in the stomach and make me realize we are all still trying to settle into this new life.
No comments:
Post a Comment