Rachel, Rachel, Rachel. She drives us crazy and cracks us up 100 times a day.
Rachel continues to be our most affectionate child. I love morning snuggles with her in my bed, and while that rarely happens, I soak up those moments. She just snuggles right into me and usually wraps her arms around my neck and kisses my cheeks. It is just the greatest. She tells me I love you and thank you and you're welcome all day long. As of late, when Richard gets home she runs to him, gives him a hug, and says, "I missed you!"
Rachel's favorite playmate is Bridget and is always so happy when she comes home from school. Rachel also adores Gretchen, sometimes too much for Gretchen's liking. :)
When we got rid of Rachel's binkies last year, she took an extra liking to the tags on her blankets. Now she has always loved tags, so this is not a completely new development, but those blanket tags have become her soothing mechanism and it just cracks me up. She holds one of the tags on her blanket to fall asleep and she carries it around by that same tag. I don't think the tag will last much longer! I have seen her close to sleep, laying down with her eyes closed, threading her blanket through her hands until she finds the tag. Love it!
Still not potty-trained...but probably not entirely her fault. Sigh. I made zero potty-training attempts until January, because you know, moving, new baby...who has the time?! Anyway, I picked a Monday in January, she knew about it, and I decided we were going to hit it head on. Well, that Monday morning came and she was completely defiant...outright refused to wear underwear. I honestly was shocked because while potty training Marshall and Bridget was no breeze, they at least agreed to wear underwear! After some back and forth with no progress I just decided to drop it. We have since bought a potty seat which she is quite attached to, and has sat on a few times, but nothing yet. Just this week I picked a new day, March 9th, and we'll give this one a solid attempt. She is three and a half, by golly, we have to get this done!
Rachel is quirky, quirky, quirky! This is how she talks, "Is that hims ball?" "Are thems gone?" "Hers not Gretchen, hers is sister." It drives Richard absolutely bonkers, but I love it, and while I don't want this terrible grammar to continue for long, I am basking in it now.
The passing of my Grandpa Yancey has had quite a profound impact on her. She talks to my mom about it and asks if she is sad that her dad is dead. She recently found out that both of Grandma Becky's parents have passed away and on our most recent visit to Vernal I overhead Rachel to talking to Becky about it. I actually found it quite touching and sweet. At one point I heard Rachel say, "But thems in heaven with Grandpa Yancey." Tender.
Rachel's prayers are hilarious. First of all, she refuses to say "Dear Heavenly Father". When I talk about how we pray to Heavenly Father, she gets upset and is adamant we are praying to Jesus. She always says, "Thank you that Grandpa Yancey died. Thank you that Max had a sleepover on Christmas Eve. Thank you that Emery is coming tomorrow." None of this is true! She has also recently added in "Thank you that Grandma Becky's mom and dad died." Her prayers are always so thoughtful. She talks in a sweet voice with her head bowed and arms folded tightly. Her sincerity and sweetness makes these confused prayers even better.
Rachel frequently chooses to wear mismatched shoes. One sandal, one dress shoe, or any other combination. She also usually has her shoes on the wrong feet and will not let anybody change them. You have no idea how many times strangers have told me her shoes are on the wrong feet. Thanks for the tip!
Besides her shoe quirk, she is so particular with her clothes. She only wears leggings, who can blame her there, but she pretty much just wears the same five shirts. Even shirts I have her pick out, she will wear once, and if she doesn't like it, will never wear it again. She has multiple dresses in her closet that Bridget used to wear that she refuses to wear. Bridget has even passed down to her Disney princesses shirts and she will have nothing to do with them! I will admit, this is all slightly frustrating to me because she only wears half her clothes and the half she wears are looking incredibly worn!
Rachel has taken to saying, "I was a baby last year." And she'll say it at the end of anything. And in fact, just today at lunch she told me she was a baby last night. So clearly she doesn't know what a baby is or she doesn't get the concept of last night and last year. :)
Rachel's imagination is incredible! I have captured some great videos of her as of late completely absorbed in her own world with delightful conversations going on between her princess figures as she plays with them. Her current favorite toys are her Sofia the First figures, Elena of Avalor, Tsums Tsums, Palace Pets, and My Little Ponies. That basically sums up all of our girl toys. :)
Rachel is currently in the midst of identifying her emotions. She will frequently say,, "You make me so angry!" and then stomp to her room, fists clenched, and slam the door, twice. :) She will also say, "You don't tell me!" or "Stop talking Mom!" when we are asking her to do something. Despite these angry words, she has also been known to melt our hearts with words. Two weeks ago she said to Richard, "You take this upstairs for me. You are such an amazing dad!" Where does she learn this stuff?! Richard was dumbfounded.
One day this fall, soon after Gretchen was born, I made some banana muffins. Seeing as Gretchen was still so new, this small task seemed daunting, so it was really the only thing I wanted to accomplish that day. I made them in the morning and then a while later laid down to take a nap. Just as I was falling asleep Rachel came to tell me she was hungry so I told her to grab a muffin. Well, when I woke up 30 minutes later I went into the kitchen and immediately saw all the muffins were not where I had left them. I asked Rachel where the muffins were and she pointed to the speaker. She had eaten the tops off of all 12 muffins! Just a few weeks ago I made cornbread for dinner. After dinner Richard and I went upstairs to start the bedtime routine and when I came back down I found Rachel eating the top of the remaining cornbread! This girl cannot be trusted around grains. :)
Rachel is clearly very resourceful when it comes to obtaining food for herself. Every morning when I am upstairs taking care of Gretchen after the older kids have gone to school, I hear Rachel scooting a chair around the kitchen so she can get anything she wants. When she has snuck a treat she always covers her eyes when she hears me coming down the stairs. Always trying to be sneaky!
Rachel's smiles have become increasingly amusing. She is such a little poser, and sometimes a very odd poser! Her smiles are usually a wide open mouth and it is hilarious. Every picture that Rachel is in brings a smile to my own face!
We love this one of a kind little girl, Rachel Louise!
When we got rid of Rachel's binkies last year, she took an extra liking to the tags on her blankets. Now she has always loved tags, so this is not a completely new development, but those blanket tags have become her soothing mechanism and it just cracks me up. She holds one of the tags on her blanket to fall asleep and she carries it around by that same tag. I don't think the tag will last much longer! I have seen her close to sleep, laying down with her eyes closed, threading her blanket through her hands until she finds the tag. Love it!
Rachel is quirky, quirky, quirky! This is how she talks, "Is that hims ball?" "Are thems gone?" "Hers not Gretchen, hers is sister." It drives Richard absolutely bonkers, but I love it, and while I don't want this terrible grammar to continue for long, I am basking in it now.
The passing of my Grandpa Yancey has had quite a profound impact on her. She talks to my mom about it and asks if she is sad that her dad is dead. She recently found out that both of Grandma Becky's parents have passed away and on our most recent visit to Vernal I overhead Rachel to talking to Becky about it. I actually found it quite touching and sweet. At one point I heard Rachel say, "But thems in heaven with Grandpa Yancey." Tender.
Rachel's prayers are hilarious. First of all, she refuses to say "Dear Heavenly Father". When I talk about how we pray to Heavenly Father, she gets upset and is adamant we are praying to Jesus. She always says, "Thank you that Grandpa Yancey died. Thank you that Max had a sleepover on Christmas Eve. Thank you that Emery is coming tomorrow." None of this is true! She has also recently added in "Thank you that Grandma Becky's mom and dad died." Her prayers are always so thoughtful. She talks in a sweet voice with her head bowed and arms folded tightly. Her sincerity and sweetness makes these confused prayers even better.
Rachel frequently chooses to wear mismatched shoes. One sandal, one dress shoe, or any other combination. She also usually has her shoes on the wrong feet and will not let anybody change them. You have no idea how many times strangers have told me her shoes are on the wrong feet. Thanks for the tip!
Besides her shoe quirk, she is so particular with her clothes. She only wears leggings, who can blame her there, but she pretty much just wears the same five shirts. Even shirts I have her pick out, she will wear once, and if she doesn't like it, will never wear it again. She has multiple dresses in her closet that Bridget used to wear that she refuses to wear. Bridget has even passed down to her Disney princesses shirts and she will have nothing to do with them! I will admit, this is all slightly frustrating to me because she only wears half her clothes and the half she wears are looking incredibly worn!
Rachel has taken to saying, "I was a baby last year." And she'll say it at the end of anything. And in fact, just today at lunch she told me she was a baby last night. So clearly she doesn't know what a baby is or she doesn't get the concept of last night and last year. :)
Rachel's imagination is incredible! I have captured some great videos of her as of late completely absorbed in her own world with delightful conversations going on between her princess figures as she plays with them. Her current favorite toys are her Sofia the First figures, Elena of Avalor, Tsums Tsums, Palace Pets, and My Little Ponies. That basically sums up all of our girl toys. :)
Rachel is currently in the midst of identifying her emotions. She will frequently say,, "You make me so angry!" and then stomp to her room, fists clenched, and slam the door, twice. :) She will also say, "You don't tell me!" or "Stop talking Mom!" when we are asking her to do something. Despite these angry words, she has also been known to melt our hearts with words. Two weeks ago she said to Richard, "You take this upstairs for me. You are such an amazing dad!" Where does she learn this stuff?! Richard was dumbfounded.
One day this fall, soon after Gretchen was born, I made some banana muffins. Seeing as Gretchen was still so new, this small task seemed daunting, so it was really the only thing I wanted to accomplish that day. I made them in the morning and then a while later laid down to take a nap. Just as I was falling asleep Rachel came to tell me she was hungry so I told her to grab a muffin. Well, when I woke up 30 minutes later I went into the kitchen and immediately saw all the muffins were not where I had left them. I asked Rachel where the muffins were and she pointed to the speaker. She had eaten the tops off of all 12 muffins! Just a few weeks ago I made cornbread for dinner. After dinner Richard and I went upstairs to start the bedtime routine and when I came back down I found Rachel eating the top of the remaining cornbread! This girl cannot be trusted around grains. :)
Rachel is clearly very resourceful when it comes to obtaining food for herself. Every morning when I am upstairs taking care of Gretchen after the older kids have gone to school, I hear Rachel scooting a chair around the kitchen so she can get anything she wants. When she has snuck a treat she always covers her eyes when she hears me coming down the stairs. Always trying to be sneaky!
Rachel's smiles have become increasingly amusing. She is such a little poser, and sometimes a very odd poser! Her smiles are usually a wide open mouth and it is hilarious. Every picture that Rachel is in brings a smile to my own face!
We love this one of a kind little girl, Rachel Louise!

No comments:
Post a Comment