Monday, May 2, 2022

The Leake's Week-May 1, 2022

 Hello!


Another Monday edition of the email!  Here's what we've been up to this last week...it's been busy!

On Monday, everyone returned to school and work, and now, a week later, I have zero recollection of what I did during the school day!  Oh wait, I went to a last minute birthday lunch for a friend in the neighborhood.  It was great to visit with those women, and Gretchen was perfectly behaved and sat on my lap and ate everything I bought her for lunch!  That afternoon, I was very busy chauffeuring Marshall and Bridget to and from piano lessons and soccer for Marshall.  Marshall went to both team practices last Monday evening and played for 2 1/2 hours.  Richard and I took Ziggy to the park where Marshall was and took Ziggy on a walk for the last 45 minutes of practice.  Ziggy was in heaven.  He is so funny the second he sees us grab his harness-he knows exactly what that means!  Last Monday was beautiful weather and the girls did play outside a lot that afternoon and evening.  

Tuesday morning, after the big kids left for school, I took Gretchen to Genevieve's house for the morning.  I had an appointment for initiatory at the temple and they were so kind to let Gretchen come and play.  Gretchen, of course, was on Cloud 9 about the arrangement!  Tuesday was another beautiful weather day.  The kids spent a lot of time outside that afternoon and evening and I spent time weeding the front flower bed.  The next day Gretchen said to me, "What is a plower bed anyway?"  I tried to explain it, but I think she is still confused!  Rachel had dance that night, and did have a good time there.  Bridget also had a primary activity that afternoon.




Wednesday morning I kept Gretchen home from school because of a minor cold, but her nose chargers were in full use, and I figured it would be best to keep her home.  Marshall has late start on Wednesday mornings, but he did have a band practice, so Gretchen and I dropped him off at 9:00 am.  Every time I drop him off at school, I always laugh to myself after he gets out of the car.  It still just blows my mind that I have a child in junior high and that he is going to the same junior high I went to!  I have memories, that seem just like yesterday, of my own parents dropping me off there and I just cannot fathom that I am now the parent in this situation!  Anyway, I am so glad Marshall was able to go to this band practice.  You might recall that he got a concussion last December and missed both band rehearsals and their concert!  I have been praying daily for the protection of this boy's head!  After Gretchen and I dropped Marshall off, we drove straight to Home Depot to get some compost and mulch.  Once we got home, I got Gretchen settled with breakfast and a show and I got straight to work outside.  I worked out there for about three hours weeding, mixing in compost, moving two bleeding hearts and putting down mulch.  I loved it!  Gretchen came out after about an hour and joined me.  She was delightful and was such a great helper watering the plants at the end.  I have become obsessed, and that is maybe an understatement, with this front flower bed this week.  I have made each member of my family come and look at new hosta shoots and leaves with me.  I seriously check on them ten times a day and it completely delights me!  On Tuesday, Marshall said to me, "I don't remember you caring about flowers this much in Wisconsin."  Haha!  He's right!  I told him this is what old age has done to me!  I am finding this front flower bed very rewarding!  Wednesday evening Richard and Marshall went to a meeting for his soccer club, it was long and boring and dare I say a waste of their time!  Rachel went to dance class and it was fun just having time with Bridget and Gretchen.  We took Ziggy on a walk and Gretchen asked to ride her balance bike.  She has been riding it almost daily in our driveway for the last couple of weeks, and she keeps asking to bring it on Ziggy's walks and each time I say no.  I feel terrible writing this!  I just had zero confidence in her navigating the hills in our neighborhood with it and was certain we would get a block or two away from the house and she would decide she was tired and I would be forced to walk the dog and carry the bike.  Well, on this evening, she refused to take no for an answer!  She did awesome, and I felt so bad I have continually denied her this opportunity!  She sure showed me.  She never once complained or wanted to stop.  She stayed on that bike, and even though she isn't the fastest, she never fell and navigated it all so well!  She went up hills and down hills, and I was just SO proud of her!  She even started lifting her legs up for a couple seconds at a time so she was really balancing.  That night, she told Rachel she would teach her how to ride a bike.  :)  





Richard didn't have to work until 3:00 on Thursday, which was nice, but did leave me with an insane afternoon and evening, but it sure was great to have him around during the school day!  He mowed the lawn and we set up Marshall's big soccer goal.  He left for work a little after 2:00, and then I took a quick nap while Gretchen watched a show so I could gear up for an afternoon and evening marathon!  I picked the girls up from school, we were home for 10 minutes, and then I put all the girls back in the car.  We dropped Rachel off at her last Let's Play Music class and then picked Cambria up and dropped Bridget and Cambria off at the farm.  I told them not to get distracted by the baby goats and just to work hard and fast until I was able to come back to finish helping them with the chicken waters...gag!  Gretchen and I ran home, picked up Marshall, and took him to his soccer game in Farmington.  He was so kind and let me drop him off early, so I could rush back to pick up Rachel from class!  We went straight to the farm and I was elated to see that Bridget and Cambria were already starting on the chicken waters, so I just helped them finish up and then we were done!  Rachel and Gretchen were delighted to have a few minutes at the farm to see their new puppy and all the baby goats.  After the farm, I took Cambria home and then dropped the girls off at home and rushed to Marshall's soccer game.  I got there about 25 minutes late, but my parents were also kind enough to come and also cheer him on.  The team ended up losing and did not play particularly well, but Marshall played well.  It has been a few months since my parents had seen him play and they were impressed with the strength of his kicks, he has gotten much stronger!  Once Marshall and I were back home, I made a quick dinner for people who were hungry, cleaned up the kitchen, bathed Gretchen, said good night to everyone and ran down to book club.  The girls went to bed well at home, and Marshall held down the fort for me.  Book club was so fantastic, and it made me so happy, yet again, that I went out on a limb and started this!  By the time I got home, and Marshall went to bed, Richard pulled in...it was a late night for all three of us!  

On Friday, Gretchen had her last show-and-tell at preschool.  She brought her Baby Aurora she got in Disneyland, she was just elated!  Once the girls got home from school on Friday, we ran a few errands together including a trip to the library.  Gretchen returned the five books she got from the library the week before, and before putting each one in the return slot, she kissed each book.  It was so cute.  We got home just in time for Rachel to have two friends over, Eily and LIly.  It was beautiful weather on Friday and they spent most of their time outside.  Bridget also played with a couple of friends outside and Marshall and Gretchen played outside as well-a great Friday afternoon!  That evening we had our ward party and Richard pulled up just in time on his way home from work.  It was dinner and a dessert auction (with fake money) and we walked away with some divine mint brownies.  Heavenly.  After the party, Marshall went straight to a friend's house (soccer and junior high friends) and had a really great time.  We put the girls to bed and then Richard and I enjoyed a relaxing evening of watching Downtown Abbey...he says he doesn't like it, but I do not believe him!  

Our Saturday began bright and early.  I was up at 5:45, Rachel was up at 6:30, and she and I were out the door at 8:00 am with her hair and make up done.  I still have to read the directions on how to apply the eyeshadow and Rachel looks in the mirror and critiques my every move!  Ha!  While I was doing her make-up, she said to me, "When will you were eyeshadow?"  I told her probably never and she replied with, "Well, maybe one day when you are on a talk show!"  Ha!  I have zero plans for a talk show appearance.  :)  Anyway, she and I left at 8:00 and drove down to Salt Lake Community College for her third and final dance competition of the season.  Her team danced great and she sure had fun.  When we were done there, we drove a few minutes to Xavier and Madie's and dropped off a big bag of clothes for their baby girl, Xailie.  She is not quite two months old and she is the cutest little thing  Rachel could not get over how small her fingers and fingernails were.  I still think Gretchen has baby hands, but not compared to a newborn!  While we were gone, Richard and Marshall were at soccer game #1 of the day.  Marshall's team lost, but they actually played great, much better than their Thursday loss, so while it was not a victory on their records, it almost seems like one!  We were all home for lunch and enjoyed some time as a family and forced the kids to finish their jobs.  Just after 2:00, Richard and Marshall left for soccer game #2 and dropped Bridget off at Cambria's house.  The younger girls and I enjoyed a relaxing afternoon (I slept for 90 minutes!) and we also played outside for over an hour and Ziggy was in heaven.  Bridget had a blast at Cambria's house.  Marshall's team won their game 9-2, but Marshall got creamed three times in the process.  Thankfully, his head is safe, but the rest of him is quite beat up!  One of the other dads got the second hit on video.  That kid is darn lucky I have no idea who he is, or you bet I would be on his front porch pounding on his door!  That player did not get carded for that hit, or the previous one.  Ironically, on Friday UYSA sent out an email to all soccer parents in Utah that effective immediately coaches, parents, and players cannot question a ref's call or be demeaning in any way (that part is good), but of course that is the weekend that Marshall literally gets taken out three times from behind in one game!  The third time he got hit, which was a different player, that kid did get a yellow card.  Thank you very much!  That night I met Lara Vanhille in Layton for dinner.  I don't think I have seen her in person since August and it was beyond wonderful to catch up with her.  We talked for three hours straight and could have talked for three days straight!  She is a great human being, and I am so glad to know her and call her a friend.  







Yesterday was a pretty relaxing day, and that was so wonderful.  Marshall woke up incredibly sore, but after ibuprofen and warm rice bags, he managed to get dressed and walk slowly to church.  :)  Fortunately, by yesterday afternoon, he was feeling much better and moving around great.  After church we played games, watched a movie, and took naps!  It was a good Sunday.  Richard picked his parents up late last night from the airport.  They spent the night here and drove home this morning.  It was great to have them here in the morning and they got to see all the kids before they left for school.  Gretchen had a bad dream last night and came to find us before we had even gone to bed.  This morning I was asking her if she remembered what happened last night.  She launched into the whole dream that involved her current fear, a ghost named Abigail.  I was trying to explain to her, again, that Abigail (from a kid's tv show) is not real.  Well, I had zero success because she looked at me and said, "Stop it!  You are scaring me out with your words!"  It cracked me up.  Scaring me out.  

Alright, that's all I've got!  

Here's to May!

Love,

Richard, Jenny, Marshall, Bridget, Rachel, and Gretchen :)

No comments: