Monday, August 15, 2022

The Leake's Week-July 24, 2022

Hello!  The summer is flying by; I cannot believe we are nearing the end of July.  We have had another wonderful week, and also a week that has been sobering.  Here are all the details.  

 

On Monday, Richard didn't work until 3:00 pm, and it was great to have him around for the first part of the day.  I took Marshall and Bridget to their eye appointment with our new eye doctor.  Marshall needed another bump in his prescription and got new contacts that day, which he is very grateful for.  :)  For over a year now, we have known that Bridget wound eventually end up in glasses, and the day has come.  She is not real thrilled with this, even though she knew it was coming.  We picked out a cute pair of frames for her though, they are dark, and just fit perfectly with her dark features.  She will only need to wear them at school, movies, football games, etc.  Her vision isn't bad yet, but these will definitely make things easier when she finds herself in the back of the classroom.  I told her when she gets them we'll take a family selfie with five out of six of us in glasses.  :)  Between mine and Richard's genes, this was bound to happen!  Now we just wait for Gretchen.  :)  Anyway, our morning was clearly spent at the eye doctor.  We were able to have lunch together as a family, which was wonderful.  The girls started their last week of swim lessons for the summer on Monday at 1:00.  They have all progressed so much this summer and it has been fun to see.  Gretchen learned the elementary backstroke this week and I die of cuteness overload when she is in the monkey position.  She is still quite tense on her back, and that is all reflected in her little feet and ankles.  It kills me.  Rachel learned the side stroke this week, and has it down great!  Bridget rocked it this week, and I don't think there will be a need for her to do swim lessons next summer.  I've told her I could see a future for her on swim team, but for now, she is sticking with her goats and horses!  After swim lessons, Marshall and Bridget went to piano lessons.  Right after piano, we went straight to Cherry Hill and spent the next five hours there until it closed.  Marshall and Bridget each invited a friend (Johnny for Marshall and Bridget for Claire) and those four big kids had a ball.  I hardly saw them!  They just went from thing to thing and loved it.  I hung with Rachel and Gretchen, and the three of us had a great time.  It was not crowded, and we especially loved the lazy river because it was so open!  We packed a dinner and ate there, but other than that, we were all in the water.  It was the perfect way to spend a Monday evening.  When we got home, Marshall changed into dry clothes and went straight down to Johnny's for a late night and Richard picked him up on his way home just before 11:00.  The girls were all exhausted and after showers, fell into bed.  I kept my eyes open long enough for Richard and Marshall to come home, it had been a great and full day!

 

Tuesday was a non-stop day and it began at the farm at 7:00 am for Bridget, Cambria, and myself.  :)  We learned a critical lesson that day...do not take a goat off the milking stand until she is 100% done being milked, or it will be almost impossible to get her back on.  Gah!  Things had been going so well for the girls, they even managed to get all the eggs out from under a territorial turkey!  Bridget was milking the last goat, and I thought we were minutes away from leaving...wrong!  Bridget and Cambria decided to milk Ariel together, but in order to do that, they needed to get her on the other milking stand.  We all thought this was a great idea, and did not think through any other possible outcome.  Well, Ariel taught us a lesson we will never forget!  One hour and 15 minutes later, we were finally finished.  Oh my gosh, I wanted to shoot something!  It was nothing short of infuriating for me.  The girls were a lot more calm, and just kept trying to problem solve and problem. solve.  We tried everything, including milking her outside, with me straddling her, and I bet you can picture how well that went.  We finally put her back in with the goats, left her alone for about 15 minutes while we strained the milk, went back to her, and I said a silent prayer and we finally got that goat back up on the SAME milking stand she had been on earlier, and Bridget finished milking her.  It was a lesson we needed to learn, I just wish it didn't take so long to learn it!  Bridget and I made it home just after 11:00 am dripping in sweat and exhausted.  I told my parents that day that the farm is sucking the life out of me and my dad told me that's what farms do.  :)  Marshall held down the fort at home for the morning and Rachel helped Gretchen get ready for a playdate with Charlie and a preschool friend, which Jessica was so kind to take her to since I was still stuck at the farm!  The rest of Tuesday afternoon was spent with swim lessons, a doctor appointment for me, Bridget played at Cambria's house and Rachel had dance.  I made dinner for the family and then left with friends to see "Where the Crawdads Sing".  I think I wrote this last week, but I finished the book last Wednesday, we had book club Friday and then ten of us went to see the movie on Tuesday, and then talked about it all over again!  It is a gripping story, and while I would not put it in my top ten of most favorite books ever, it is up there.  Due to my crazy day, I did something I have never done before, and got a coke at the movie.  I have only ever had sips of coke in my life of almost 40 years, but I did not want to doze off for even one minute of that movie, so I went with coke and was completely wired when I made it home that night.  Richard was getting a kick out of it!  Haha!  

 

Wednesday Richard was home again in the morning and early afternoon.  He got some things done around the house and we loved having him here.  That morning I took Marshall for a consult with the orthodontist and this lucky kid will be sporting braces before the start of 8th grade!  He anticipates it will take about 18 months to get everything where it needs to be, so he's in it for the long haul!  We were able to eat lunch all together again on Wednesday before I took the girls to swim lessons.  Bridget and Rachel worked on diving this week.  Poor Rachel pretty much only manages a belly flop!  Bridget has had some great dives though!  Rachel hit a major milestone though and jumped off the diving board without a floaty for the first time ever!  Yay!!!  That night after dinner, Bridget worked at the farm and Marshall went to his YM activity.  Rachel and I cleaned out her closet.  It was lovely.  :)  

 

Thursday morning we were all home again-Richard's schedule has been a little wacky this week.  On Thursday he worked 12-8 at home, and I am sure glad he was home.  The girls had their last swim lesson that afternoon and shortly after we got home, Bridget left to play with Avery and Claire.  A little before 3:00, Richard came downstairs and asked if I knew what was happening outside.  I had my headphones in, and aside from Ziggy's barking, I hadn't realized anything unusual was happening.  He took me upstairs and we looked out the girls' bedroom windows which face the street behind us, 1825 North.  Between the houses we could see all sorts of emergency vehicles as well as police walking up and down the street.  We could not tell at all what was going on, so we each went back to what we were doing.  A few minutes later my next door neighbor, Jessica, called to tell me the Newman's house was on fire.  The Newman's are an elderly couple in our ward.  I have talked to Bethany Newman a handful of times, but not since Covid.  Their health is poor, and they are also taking care of her dad, who is living with them.  Anyway, by the time Jessica called, I could see smoke billowing into the air and I spent time on the phone with my Aunt Margaret and my Mom who had called to check on us.  Shortly after getting off the phone with them I learned more of the story.  Shortly after 2:30 pm, a 37 year old man broke into the Newman's home, assaulted them, poured gasoline on one of them, tried to steal their vehicles and set their home on fire.  He is completely unknown to the Newmans.  Fortunately, the police and firefighters got the Newmans out of the home, and the suspect was found in the home.  The fire, though damaging another home or two, was contained and did not spread to the hillside which is so close to our house.  It is a terrible, terrible tragedy.  The Newman's home is a complete loss.  Everyone in our neighborhood is feeling like it could have been their home.  It seems completely random, and is completely awful.  After that, our entire Thursday felt completely rocked.  There were two different helicopters flying over our neighborhood, streets were closed, our cul-de-sac became a hub-bub of cars, and we were all quite rattled.  Through all of that though, we managed to get Rachel off to dance and Marshall to soccer practice.  Once things were settled down, and we were all home together about 8:15 pm, we all just sat outside together, talked, tried to process, laugh some and just be together.  Earlier that afternoon, the kids had said they all wanted to sleep in our room that night, but our time together really seemed to calm them all down.  Everyone went to sleep in their own beds and stayed there, which is a miracle.  

 

On Friday morning I took Bridget on her date to Lagoon.  It was SO hot, we were there from 10:00-12:00, and I could not believe how hot it was so early in the day.  Bridget conquered her fear of Jetstar, a roller coaster she has been gearing up to do for over a year.  She ended up loving it and has said she will happily go again with friends.  She and I had a great time together, and I have loved these Lagoon dates last year and this year with my kids.  We had a laid back afternoon, which was really nice for me.  Gretchen played at Harper's house and Rachel had Eily over to play.  Richard got home from work about 6:00, we had dinner as a family, then Bridget was off to the farm and Richard and Marshall left for the airport.  


For years, Marshall's favorite professional soccer team has been Manchester City-obviously they play over in England.  This spring they announced they were coming to the States to play two friendly games.  The first game they announced was to be played in Houston.  The second game they announced was to be played in Green Bay, Wisconsin at Lambeau Field.  It was too good to pass up, so we bought tickets for Richard and Marshall to go to the game!  They bought airline tickets at the same time, and it seemed it was all going to work out so nicely.  Unfortunately, weeks ago, Delta cancelled their flight to Milwaukee, and it was a real pain to problem solve it all.  In the end, they decided to just fly to Minneapolis and drive four hours to Green Bay.  It seems that nowadays, flights are so often cancelled and delayed, so Richard had a lot of trepidation about how it would all work out.  While I am writing this, they are on the flight home and I think everything has gone so smoothly for them!  They got to Lambeau about 3:00 yesterday, and the game started at 6:00 so they had plenty of time to walk around and take in the stadium.  Marshall has only been to the gift shop at Lambeau Field and that was before he was even one!  Marshall loved it all!  They got to experience crazy soccer fans, two lightning delays, a crazy Midwest thunderstorm, great soccer, and Manchester City won 1-0.  They briefly met up with Anna and Fitz as well, so that was an added perk!  I can't wait to hear all about it when they get home!  Also, earlier in the week, Delta upgraded Richard and Marshall to first class.  Richard didn't tell Marshall about it.  Marshall is currently obsessed with all things planes and was on Cloud 9 when he realized, as they were boarding the plane, that their seats were in first class.  I am sure he will go on and on about this when he gets home!  I am so happy for both of them, especially for Marshall-a trip he will always remember!






Meanwhile, at home, the girls and I have been having a great time.  Bridget was at the farm until late Friday night, and I let Rachel and Gretchen watch a movie while I watched Downton Abbey upstairs, win-win!  We had a lazy Saturday morning, which felt wonderful.  I introduced the girls to German pancakes-they were received with mixed reviews, but then Rachel told me today that's what she wants for her birthday breakfast!  Ha!  We eventually finished jobs, ran some errands, and then went to my parents' house from 2:30 until after 9:00.  It was so wonderful!  We played games all together, the girls played in the basement while I had great conversations with my parents, we had Papa Murphy's for dinner, played outside, played more games, talked, laughed, and ate brownies.  If we didn't have a dog at home, I would have kept us there all night!  My Dad is recovering well so far from his stem cell procedure and we are just praying he continues on that trajectory.  




We have had a lovely Sunday.  Church was fantastic with an outgoing missionary and a returning one both speaking.  The girls have played all afternoon and I have napped and written this email.  We ate dinner out on the deck and played card games together after dinner.  Summer is slipping through my fingers, and I am not loving the idea of school looming in the near future.  It has been such an incredible summer...we have four weeks left to keep playing!

 

Love,

 

Richard, Jenny, Marshall, Bridget, Rachel, and Gretchen :)

No comments: