Thursday, February 2, 2023

The Leake's Week-November 20, 2022

 Hello!


I am bound and determined to pound this out and send it out on Sunday!  Here we go!

Last Monday Marshall was sick and miserable.  He stayed home from school and hardly said ten words to me the entire day.  He was so congested and just generally feeling terrible.  I just dispensed medication and kept him well supplied with water.  Thankfully, he is a good and motivated student, so he was able to get through his school work on the computer and then he just read, laid around, and played video games.  Thankfully, the other girls were good and were off to school.  Gretchen and I went to her music class after kindergarten.  After school, Rachel went to dance, and Bridget worked at the farm.  Thankfully, I only had to be at the farm for 30 minutes and then Melanie came to relieve me!  Chicken waters are the bane of my existence!

Marshall stayed home from school again on Tuesday.  I could tell he was doing better though, because he was more talkative and that evening he started to torment his sisters-a sure sign of improvement!  Ha!  That morning, I did my usual volunteering in kindergarten.  I seriously love it.  Gretchen still gives me the biggest hug every time I come in.  She has my heart!  After kindergarten, she and I had a quick turnaround because she had an in-class dress rehearsal for her dance class.  She was SO excited to get dressed up in her costume and I am literally counting down the days until the Christmas recital.  I had a mom-fail that afternoon with her dance class though.  She usually has dance on Thursdays, but for this week only they switched it to Tuesdays.  I wanted to go early to pick her up because I thought it would be fun to see them do their dance in costume.  After I dropped her off, I ran a couple of errands before going home and I set an alarm on my phone to get me to class ten minutes early.  After the alarm went off, I hopped in the car and on my way to the studio, I realized I had the time ending time wrong and instead of being ten minutes early I was going to be ten minutes late!  Ah!  Sweet Gretchen was just hanging out with her teacher, and her teacher was so forgiving.  Gretchen seemed mostly unphased-bless her!  After school, it was back to the dance studio with Rachel and Bridget had a primary activity.  Marshall and Bridget did their piano lessons on Zoom that night, and even though it was slightly chaotic to have that going on for an hour, it sure was nice not having to shuttle them to and from.  For the most part, our Tuesday evening was quite relaxing because we were home!  A rarity these days it seems!

On Wednesday, Richard didn't have to work until 3:00 pm-it was so lovely having him around for a good chunk of the day.  After school, it was just horseback riding for Bridget and dance for Rachel.  I forced Marshall to go to school on Wednesday, and he survived, but he did come home pretty wiped out.  He decided to skip both soccer and YM that night.  Richard got home about 11:00 pm that night.

After I got everyone off to school on Thursday I went to the temple and did an endowment session.  Per Richard's suggestion, I drank a Coke that morning to try and help me stay awake-and it worked!  This is going to become my new trick.  That afternoon, Gretchen and I went over to my parents' house and had lunch with them.  It has been weeks since I have seen my parents in anything but a large group of people and it was a real treat to have some time with them.  My Mom made us a delicious lunch and dessert and it was a great way to spend an afternoon.  At first, Gretchen did not want to be there, but when it was time to leave, she did not want to go!  I told her she could come with me, go to the car place with Grandma, or sit in meetings with Grandpa.  When presented with those options, she chose to come home with me!  I got home just in time to get the girls from school and then it was off to piano for Rachel.  I had a RS Christmas activity that night and walked out the door just as Richard was walking in.  It was a wonderful activity with dinner and songs and Christmas messages.  Richard held the fort down at home and all was well.  

Friday I conquered something I have been gearing up to do since my birthday-bake sourdough bread!  For my birthday, I asked Richard for a sourdough kit from Ballerina Farm.  I have been rehydrating and feeding my sourdough starter, named Willa.  :)  I have used it for other things here and there, but I have been too intimidated to make actual sourdough bread.  Friday was the day though and it turned out fantastic!  I will not hesitate to try again after Thanksgiving!  Our Friday afternoon and evening was chill and exactly what we needed-though we all went to bed entirely too late.  After dinner, Richard and the girls went to At Home and bought some more ornaments for our big family room tree.  The girls have never been to At Home and I am so elated that Richard got to experience that with his daughters.  They were in awe and so amazed at everything they saw!  :)  When they got home, we all pitched in and finished decorating that tree.  We love it and it looks great!  

Saturday morning we slept in and then I introduced the kids to sourdough pancakes.  Their reviews:  Marshall, best pancakes he's ever had.  Bridget says she liked them, but not sure how she could taste it through the whipped cream.  Rachel, not a fan.  Gretchen, asked for whipped cream, and then informed us that was all she was going to eat-she was true to her word.  :)  We are dog-sitting Ziggy's bestie for a week and Leo arrived Saturday morning as well.  We get an entire week to experience what it would be like to have two dogs.  Ziggy loves Leo, except when it comes to chasing balls.  Leo is far superior to Ziggy and Ziggy knows it.  He tries to keep up for a minute and then sits and pouts until we go in.  :)  After breakfast, we forced our kids to bundle up and help us clean up the garage!  We sorted through winter things and figured out who needs new boots and snow pants.  It was super successful and I can only hope our "mudroom" part of the garage stays clean for at least a week.  It would be a miracle.  At 11:30, Richard and Marshall left for the BYU game with Scott and Will Ford.  Will and Marshall played soccer together for years and Richard and Scott have become good friends.  They had a great time together and were happy to see a BYU win.  While the boys were gone, Bridget went to Cambria's birthday party and had a great time.  I got things done around the house and enjoyed relaxing with the younger girls too.  

We've had a good Sunday.  Richard didn't have meetings after church and that is always our favorite Sunday.  We decorated our living room Christmas tree this afternoon, the one with all our sentimental ornaments, always so special.  We had an early dinner and then went to Danny and Stacie's to celebrate Chase's birthday.  The girls had so much fun playing with Jaxon, Cal and Chase and the rest of us loved hearing of their recent adventures in Disneyland.  

We are so looking forward to Thanksgiving!  The kids just have two days of school, Richard has Thanksgiving off, and Bob and Becky are coming to spend Thanksgiving with us.  We have our menu planned and all the kids know what they are cooking with me and we are excited!  

Love to each of you.

Richard, Jenny, Marshall, Bridget, Rachel and Gretchen :)

I have been terrible at taking pictures the last two weeks.  I need to remedy that!

No comments: