Thursday, February 10, 2011

What An Ordeal

I am 36 weeks pregnant today and managed to get the stomach flu last night, blah! Richard had it two weeks ago, Marshall had it Saturday so I figured it was just a matter of time before it hit me. Both Richard and Marshall took it pretty well and got back to themselves within just a few hours. I figured I would do the same, especially because the stomach flu I had in December was not too bad. Well, I was WRONG!

Yesterday at 5:00 pm I started feeling nauseous. Finally at 7:30 pm I threw up (sorry if you didn't want to know this). I felt so much better afterward and honestly thought that I could get a good night sleep and wake up feeling much better in the morning. Again, I was WRONG! I spent the rest of the night either in the bathroom or in our bed or on the couch trying to sleep. I couldn't hold anything down, not even water, and to make things worse I was having contractions all night long.

When Richard woke up at 5:00 am I was wasted. I was exhausted, nauseous, dehydrated, and having contractions every 2-3 minutes-not good! I called my doctor and she told us to go to the hospital for IV fluids and medication to control the nausea.

We dropped Marshall's monitor off with our neighbors and were at the hospital by 6:00. They hooked me and the baby up to monitors and got my IV going. Fortunately, this little girl has done very well through this whole ordeal and passed multiple stress tests while we were at the hospital, a huge relief! Shortly after we got there they also gave me Zofran, a miracle drug, and it finally relieved my nausea.

Around 7:00 am they checked me and I was only dilated to a 1-hallelujah! I was so relieved. I know 36 weeks is not too too early for a baby, but I was still nervous. At that point they brought me 16 oz. of water and 8 oz. of juice and six crackers that they wanted me to eat to see if I could start keeping down light foods and liquids. I don't think that water has ever tasted so good! That was all I wanted last night, but after I kept throwing it up, I just stopped drinking it. Fortunately I was able to keep everything down and the nausea never returned. My contractions also started to slow down to every 3-4 minutes and they were less intense.

At about 8:45 they checked me again and I was praying that I hadn't progressed at all because if I had, they would have kept me. Fortunately, I was still at a 1 and another prayer was answered.

At 9:30 we got the go-ahead from the doctor to go home. I was still having contractions, but now they had slowed to every five minutes and were continuing to decrease in intensity.

We are home now and thankfully Richard is working with amazing residents who told him to take the entire day off. Although tired, I am feeling much, much better. I'm still having contractions, but they are much less frequent, and this little one continues to bounce around so that is reassuring.

Today I am grateful for many things: 1) modern medicine and hospitals 2) a wonderful husband and his day off from work 3) Marshall, who did great at the Rabe's this morning 4) being able to feel my baby move and listen to her heartbeat for over three hours in the hospital. Oh, and also, our shower broke this afternoon, so 5) is my neighbor letting me use her shower this afternoon. :)

5 comments:

Brett, Juliann, and Mae said...

That does not sound found. I'm glad that the baby is doing well and wants to stay in a bit longer. I hope you continue to feel well.

Megan King said...

That is the perfect title to your post...a serious ordeal! I'm glad you are feeling better and that both your little ones are such troopers! Good luck with the next few weeks. Can't wait to see pictures of baby Leake #2!

Kaleb and Abby Widmier said...

Jenny...glad that you are feeling better and at home. Also happy to hear that the baby will hang out a little longer on the inside! ;) Take care! Best wishes with everything!

Tim and Sara said...

Ohhh Jenny, you poor thing! I'm glad you and baby girl are ok!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. Tell Bridget to hold on a little longer because I didn't send any preemie clothes. :-)