Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Parenting Woes

When I was six or seven years old I put my mom up for sale. Yes, that's right. Talk about being a wonderful daughter. I put a big sign up in our living room window that read: "Mom For Sale" and below it I had written our phone number.

I do not remember why I was so angry with my poor mother and I don't remember how I came up with the awful idea of selling her, but I did.

It was not long after I placed that paper in our window that my dad brought me the phone. He told me it was our neighbor who lived across the street and that she wanted to buy my mom! At that moment I got the biggest pit in my stomach that I have ever experienced in my entire life. I was as mortified as a little girl could be. My dad made me talk to my neighbor on the phone and I just remember being speechless when she asked how much money I wanted for my mom. I don't recall anything else from the conversation. But, after hanging up the phone I immediately took the sign down and quickly mended things with my mom.

Fortunately, this is now a story I can laugh about with my parents, thank goodness! Years ago, I told this story to Richard and he has never forgotten it. He frequently reminds me of this cruel action and tells me it is just a matter of time before one of our own children does something similar.

Well, that time has come. Three year old Marshall already has a plan to get rid of not just me, but Richard too. When we were leaving Chicago a few weekends ago Marshall was cranky, tired, and upset about something we had done. Here is how it played out...

Marshall: I am going to put you guys in the garbage can and the garbage man is going to come and pick up you and take you away!
Richard: If the garbage man takes us away who is going to take care of you?
Marshall: Tim and Anna.

Excellent. He already has plans for after we have been disposed.

What a kid. What a kid I was!

Unfortunately I'm sure this is only the beginning of things.

No comments: