Thursday, March 1, 2012

Marshall Funnies

I have become quite sentimental about my kids lately. I tell Richard at least once a day that time is going by way too quickly, our kids are growing up too fast, and that the prime time of our life is slipping through our fingers. Alright, that may be a little dramatic, but this really is how I feel. Richard, by now, is tired of hearing these phrases day after day, and continually has to remind me that this is how life goes. Kids grow up, people get older, and that we have lots of good years ahead of us. I know he is right. But, while I am still in this sentimental state, I wanted to take some time and jot down some things about my kids that I always want to remember. Tonight it is Marshall's turn. He is almost 3 1/2 years old and while we have hardly made any progress with potty-training, I still love him. :)

Marshall has a fascination with the human body. Just today he ran upstairs to tell me that he was looking at pictures of bones on the computer with daddy. His favorite pajamas are his Halloween pajamas with a skeleton on them. He calls them his "skeleton bones pajamas". We recently got him another pair from Old Navy, but these ones also have muscles, heart, lungs, stomach, and intestines. He loves them.

Back in December one of his friends broke her arm falling down the stairs. Marshall is now terrified of breaking his arm and has reverted back to crawling backwards down the stairs as a safety precaution.

Marshall is very possessive of just about everything in this house. Even things we buy for Bridget usually end up in his bedroom. We have been having a lot of talks lately about how Bridget's birthday is coming up and she is going to be getting presents that are hers and not his. We'll see how this goes.

Marshall has a vivid imagination. Some days he could play in our basement for hours. He turns planes into fire trucks, buses into trucks, basketball hoops into buildings, the list goes on. His current project these last two days has been to build "a new green house for us to live in". This entails his "worker hat" and two basketball hoops.


Speaking of his "worker hat"...for his birthday in September Richard and I got him a tool set and a yellow construction hat almost identical to this one. His tool set is played with almost every single day, he loves it, but I could probably count on one hand the number of times he has put that hat on. Well, on Sunday a lady at church, who Marshall adores, gave him this hat. She teaches school and they were doing something that involved these hats and they ended up having extras. It is just a flimsy hat that we have pushed numerous dents out of this week. But, despite its cheapness, Marshall loves it, loves it, loves it. He wears it probably half of the day and when its not on his head it is close by.

And back to his imagination...Marshall uses the string for his bedroom blinds to make things into cranes.

I think this is pretty impressive for a three year old to tie knots like this. Today I walked into his room and he had a car wrapped up in the string.


On Monday Richard had the day off so Marshall and I had a little outing the The Domes. We visit The Domes every winter because they have this train exhibit set up. Marshall thinks it is pretty cool, can you tell?!

It was so fun to have a morning out with him. His favorite trains were the log train and the tractor train.

He would get so excited every time he would see one of these trains coming around the bend. He would point, jump, and smile and tell me it was coming. This picture does not capture even half of his excitement. Oh my...this boy is looking way too old.

And lastly, Marshall has started to say some pretty hilarious things. I am so intrigued with his little mind and how it all works. Here are just a few of his random comments.

"I am going to take out my intestines because I am a bone."

Marshall said this to me the other day while we were driving in the car and I was singing along to his CD. "You need to stop singing all the day because you are making me sick."

"I choose the right. Do you choose the left?"

Oh Marshall Man, we love you! Now if you could just learn to use the potty.





2 comments:

Motleymommy said...

I so often share your sentiments. Too too fast. But OH SO SWEET.

Marshall is looking like quite the big boy. You will have to take him to TrainFest at State Fair the weekend before Thanksgiving. Its AMAZING.

Dont worry potty training will come when you least expect it. For Jackson it was the promise of going to "school" (preschool twice a week)that peaked his interest. They wouldn't take him till he was potty trained. Well...that and a boy at daycare told him the bears in the woods would eat him if he went in his diaper....He trained that day! I still credit a 4 year old with his training!

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

Oh Jenny, I have been loving your posts! Chicago looked like so much fun for you guys! Bridgette has too much hair for someone who isn't even one yet. Marshall is the best boy ever too. After we left your house the other day Talmage said to me, "Mamma, Marshall nice." I am sure the potty training will happen in no time. My sister put underwear on my nephew that had pictures of his favorite super heros and she told him that they didn't want to get dirty. He was afraid to pee on his favorite heros faces, and thats what did the trick for him. I am sure you will figure something out perfectly for Marshall though.