Thursday, November 1, 2012

Getting Old...Again

These posts are becoming more frequent for me.

I have decided that I don't really have a problem with getting older.  I still feel young and life is great.  But, I do get pretty emotional every time I think about my kids getting older.  It seriously breaks my heart.

First example.

Several weeks ago Richard and I were watching one of our weekly shows and as part of the storyline one of the characters was dropping his only child off at college for the first time.  Richard turned to me and said, "Just think, we'll be doing that for Marshall in 14 years!"  My response, immediate tears.  I didn't just tear up, I really did cry.  It completely caught Richard off-guard.  :)  I might just take Marshall's ritual of pooping in his pull-up every night if it meant he could always stay four, never grow-up, and never move out of the house. Well, at least I felt that way until the middle of the night when Marshall woke up screaming and demanded that he sleep with a cup of milk.  :)

Second example.

The other day Richard came home from work and told me that he and his attending physician walked into a room to do a procedure.  The patient, upon seeing Richard, said, "Thank goodness, finally someone who looks like they're not right out of high school!".  The attending laughed and said, "He's been out of high school longer than it will be before his kids are in high school!".  My response, laughter, then almost tears, but I stopped them.

Marshall and Bridget, stop growing up!

A great morning of playing together.  In reality, this is quite a rarity.


No comments: