Wednesday, March 30, 2016

New Bed

Back in February, Rachel decided to climb out of her crib one afternoon instead of napping.  Marshall and I were dumbfounded when she walked out of her room.  I hadn't heard a thud or a clunk, nothing!  She is stealthy.  That night she demonstrated her new feat for all of us.  This girl is so strong that she could execute it without a peep.  The next few days she would frequently tell us, "I so strong, I climb out crib all by myself."  

Despite her charm and wit, this had me really down!  Our plan was to keep her in a crib until we moved to Utah.  This was also a huge reason I put Bridget in afternoon kindergarten.  I figured Rachel would nap every afternoon, or at least stay in her crib, and I would have 2 1/2 hours to myself.  It had been going so well for so long.  

Well, after much deliberating, we bit the bullet and broke down the crib and borrowed the Hassell's toddler bed.  Her first night in it was March 15...and it was a rough hour and a half.  You can just tell by that face this wasn't going to be easy.  


I am happy to report though, that despite a rough first night, she has really mastered this thing, better than Marshall and Bridget!  She hasn't come out of her room in over a week.  The last night she came out of her room I had put her to bed, turned off the light and closed the door.  I went across the hall to Marshall and Bridget's room to tuck them in and say good night.  When I left their room I found Rachel sitting in the hallway, with her door shut, her arms folded and she was just glaring at me!  I had to stop myself from laughing!  She was not too thrilled that I put her back in her room, but she did not come back out!  Last night she actually put herself to bed without any of us knowing.  Perfect!

As for naps, they are now non-existent, but I have really doubled down on quiet time, something I didn't enforce with Marshall and Bridget.  She is getting better at staying in her room and just playing quietly, and we have worked up to 45 minutes, so at least I still get a bit of a break in the afternoons!  

So now we have three kids in beds and the crib isn't in use for the first time in almost eight years!  They are all growing up so fast.

No comments: