To backtrack a little bit...
When I was 39 weeks pregnant with Rachel
she turned sideways. Thankfully, when I was induced five days later, she
had turned herself head down again. I had a sneaking suspicion I might
have a similar problem with Gretchen. Little did I know the ride she
would take me on!
At my 37 week appointment with Gretchen
she was sideways, despite being head down at 36 weeks. My OB really
wanted me to try a version. Initially I was resistant to the idea because
I figured she would eventually turn back like Rachel did. But, my OB
expressed her concerns, gave me a couple of days to think about it, and in the
end, Richard and I decided to have her turned because we would feel awful if
something went wrong that we could have prevented.
So on August 19th I checked into Labor and
Delivery at the U for an external version. Long story short, I spent five
plus hours in a hospital bed, and after they gave me a shot to relax my uterus
which has side effects of making your heart race and making you shake, they found
out she was head down. Big waste of time! But I did get to lay in
bed all morning, watch the Olympics, and nap...not too shabby.
At both my 38 and 39 week appointments I
had ultrasounds and Gretchen was always head down. However, I was quite
certain that she was changing her position on a daily basis. Richard and
I got pretty good at feeling my stomach trying to guess what position she was
in. At my 39 week appointment I was still just dilated to a 1, same place
I had been since 36 weeks.
Two days later, on September 1st, when I
was 39 weeks and 2 days, Richard and I checked back into the hospital to be
induced. I woke up that morning feeling calm and excited and quite
confident that this would be a fairly "easy" and routine delivery.
After all, I had done this three times before. I have always been
induced and each labor has gotten shorter and shorter. In all honesty, I
really thought she would be born around lunch time...and my OB thought the same
thing. She had joked with me at my last appointment that she had tickets
to the Utah game that night and didn't want to miss it. I assured her I
would definitely be having the baby before kick off. Wrong!
Anyway, we checked into the hospital at
7:30 am. It was slow going getting started, but I was just happy I would
finally be having this baby! My nurses got my IV going, I had an
ultrasound and it was determined that she was head down, so by 9:30 they got
the pitocin going and turned it on pretty high to get her moving down.
With all my other inductions I have just sat in the bed, but this time I
wanted to move things along, plus my nurse, who I loved (her name was Becky)
really encouraged me to get up and move around. So for the next couple of
hours I moved between walking, standing, and bouncing on the ball. The
contractions were coming fast, but not painful enough for an epidural and I was
pretty optimistic.
At about 11:30 I got my epidural, which was
great. I wasn't really needing it yet, but I wanted it before they broke
my water. In Milwaukee, the anesthesiologist always had Richard leave my
room while they placed the epidural. This time though, he got to stay,
which was great! It was so nice having him rub my back and hold my hand,
instead of a nurse talking me through it. It took a while to place the
epidural, but he eventually got it and things started getting nice and numb.
:)
Once I was all situated in my bed, the
residents came in to check me and break my water.
I had only dilated to a 3, which was a bit
discouraging, and Gretchen was still so high they didn't feel comfortable
breaking my water. Just a bit later, at 1:45 pm, the midwife came in who
I had seen at my 38 week appointment. She checked me and immediately knew
Gretchen was no longer head down. Before she even said anything I knew
just by the look on her face. I was so discouraged. She left and
came right back with an ultrasound, my second of the day. Gretchen had completely
turned and was almost breech. Her head was up on my right side and she
was in a diagonal with her bum down by my left hip. They immediately
turned off the pitocin and the midwife said she would be back with a plan.
This was SO disheartening. I could
not believe she had flipped around with all the contractions I had been having.
My uterus was contracting every two minutes! My doctor came in soon
after with the plan that they would try and turn her back to head down.
They figured I was a good candidate and that it was doable. While
we were waiting for things to get underway, the nurse did bring some scrubs in
for Richard, just in case this all ended with a c-section. During all of
this I was so worried about the potential for a c-section, but my doctor never
mentioned anything about it, so I kept trying to reassure myself with
that.
At 2:30 my room filled up with doctors,
residents, nurses, and the anesthesiologist and I was prepped for an external
version, yet again! Fortunately, this time though they did the ultrasound
before giving me the shot. Good thing too because the ultrasound showed
she had flipped back to head down! I was so relieved, yet again!
They cranked the pitocin back up, turned my bed into a chair, and placed
two wrapped towels on each side of my belly and put a wrap around it to give
Gretchen less side to side room to move.
This is when things started to get really
hard for me. It was 3:00, I was exhausted and starving, but I wasn't
allowed to eat because of the potential for a c-section. I was very
uncomfortable in my bed that was like a chair. I understood why they
wanted me to sit straight up, but my position was not conducive to my epidural
working very well and it was so hard to try and sleep sitting straight up.
At about 3:45 my doctor and midwife came
back in for another ultrasound, to check me, and to hopefully break my water if
things looked good. Thankfully, Gretchen was still head down, I had
progressed to a 5, but Gretchen was still so high. They opted to break my
water anyway, carefully, with the ultrasound still monitoring Gretchen.
The hope was that when they broke my water it would help Gretchen drop
and really speed things along. Breaking my water went very smoothly, but
Gretchen did not move down at all, and things did not pick up at all. I
did have TONS of water though. It soaked my doctor's scrubs, and in the
end my OB asked for a basin because I had completely soaked the towels.
:) My OB later told the nurse she had never seen so much water come
out of someone! No wonder Gretchen was doing flips.
So, here I was at 4:00, anxious,
exhausted, starving, worried. I had had all my babies before 4:00 and I
was only dilated to a 5. At 7:00 I said a sad good-bye to my wonderful
nurse Becky. She had prepped my room at like 11:00 am for the baby and
now I was saying good-bye to her with no baby! That was depressing.
I started to worry about my choice to be induced earlier than I ever had
been before and I was quite concerned this would end up in a c-section.
Soon after my new nurse started her shift,
they had to turn off my pitocin and put me on oxygen. My uterus was
contracting so frequently and Gretchen wasn't handling the contractions as well
as they wanted her to. This was again such a blow to me. The only
good thing though is that I talked my new nurse into letting me lay on my side.
The epidural was not working well in my sitting position despite getting
a bolus from the anesthesiologist earlier. So even though the pitocin was
off and I was on oxygen, at least I was laying down on my side and able to nap
off and on. After about an hour, Gretchen was doing better, so they took
me off the oxygen and turned the pitocin back on.
Finally, at 9:00 pm I had dilated to a 7.
I was very relieved, but things were starting to get pretty
uncomfortable. I started feeling so much pressure in my tailbone, and I
knew from my experience with Rachel that meant I was ready to push. Over
the next hour I called my nurse in three times to check me, convinced I was
ready to push this baby out. Each time she was so kind, checked me,
smiled, and said I was still a 7! I couldn't believe it. The pain
was becoming almost intolerable, I was breathing through each contraction and
squeezing the bed railing or Richard's hand. I had maxed out my epidural
and the anesthesiologists were in a c-section so I was out of luck.
At 10:00, I believe it was Richard who
finally pushed the button to call the nurse in to check me again. The
contractions were so painful and all I wanted to do was push. All sorts
of noises were coming out of my mouth-it was miserable! The nurse came in
and said I was at a 10 and asked me if I wanted to push; I answered with a
resounding yes! My room immediately turned into a buzz of excitement as a
new attending came in (my OB was at the football game), a resident, a couple of
nurses. Things were in such a hurry Richard even helped the attending put
her gown on. Once everyone was ready they turned me from my side to my
back, and while painful, I didn't quite have the same urgency to push. I
pushed through a few contractions, but clearly things looked different to them
down there then they had earlier and they asked if I wanted to wait for my OB.
I reluctantly admitted that I did not have the same urgency so I would
try and wait. Every couple of minutes I did push through a contraction
and they were great to sit there and wait with me. Richard alternated
between holding a leg and feeding me ice chips, that's a good husband.
At about 10:15 my OB arrived straight from
the football game, which was good, because things were starting to get more
painful again. My epidural did a great job at making my legs completely
numb (so numb that I couldn't get out of bed and had a catheter in until the
next morning!), but it was not as good at making everything else numb if you
know what I'm saying. During my last few minutes of pushing I told
Richard, "It has never hurt this bad before!" Geez. It
was painful. Thankfully, after just several minutes of pushing with my
OB, little Gretchen was born into the world at 10:24 pm.
The physical relief I felt was astounding,
but also the emotional relief was huge. This pregnancy was my hardest in
all ways, and the labor and delivery was hands down my hardest also. To
hear her cry, and see her, and have her resting on my chest within a minute
brought so much relief to me physically and emotionally.
She spent probably close to an hour just
laying on me. It took a while for them to stitch me up, and even though
that was painful, I just focused on this new little girl with chubby, chubby
cheeks. She was so alert during that time and hardly cried. It was
a beautiful time. After I was put back together they weighed her,
measured her, and cleaned her up a bit more and then I was able to nurse her.
It took her a few minutes to get the hang of it, but she ended up doing
great. After all of that Richard got some time with her. I love
seeing him hold our newborns. Those are some of my favorite pictures of
him.
Finally at 1:00 am I was wheeled into my
recovery room. What a day. I have always wondered what it would be
like to have a baby at night. Now I know. Exhausting! It was
quite a day, one I never would have predicted! We are thrilled she is
here and we love, love, love her dearly.
And lastly, I have to mention something
about Richard. With all my past deliveries, which have been rather
uneventful, he and I have kind of done our own thing until the end.
Usually I nap in bed, read magazines, and watch tv while he sits in a
chair on his ipad. He is always great to get things for me and support
me, but things have been so "easy". This time though, as things
were so challenging and at times worrisome, Richard was right there with me, so
attentive and involved. He kept a close eye on the monitors, talked to
me, calmed me down, looked stuff up, and kept apologizing for my misery!
He was so supportive and involved the entire day, and it was really quite
wonderful to go through something so exceptionally hard with him by my side. He
definitely saw me at some low points that day, I was so vulnerable and
felt so much emotion. It was just so wonderful to have him there with me
every step of the way. I sure love him and this family we have created
together.

3 comments:
Love this! Sure miss you!
What a story!! Congratulations! ♥
Thank you for reminding me that I never, EVER want to go through labor again! So glad she is here-best wishes to your sweet family!
Post a Comment