Thursday, November 9, 2017

A Weekend In Vernal

This blog is becoming so out of order!  Oh well, that's life with four children!  Better to record something rather than nothing!

Anyway, the last time we were in Vernal was in February!  The kids had wanted to go all summer, but our weekends were booked.  The only weekend we could really go this fall was UEA break for the kids, and as it so happened, Richard had to be in Arizona that weekend taking his last board exam.  So, I took a deep breath, promised the kids I would take them, and made plans with my in-laws before I could change my mind!  The only thing I was worried about was the drive, mostly with Gretchen, but she did great, and I did great, and I safely did that six hour round trip drive with all five of us.  

Our time in Vernal was wonderful.  For the last 13 years, as long as I have known Richard, time in Vernal is so relaxing for me.  There are no expectations, rarely any plans, things are relaxed, and it really is so great.  This trip was no exception, and made even better with beautiful fall weather.  

Here's a recap with pictures.

We got there Thursday afternoon, just before dinner.  As has become tradition, we immediately headed to Freddy's for dinner.  Gretchen loved the custard, but who wouldn't?!


Most of Friday was spent at home.  Cousins came over, the weather was beautiful, and we spent a lot of time outside in the hammock, on the swings, raking leaves, and jumping in leaf piles.  











Late that afternoon we went to the Dinosaur Museum.  They had an awesome scavenger hunt that Marshall loved.  



Our evening consisted of a movie and fun with grandparents.  



Saturday was an awesome day.  For the entire month of October I had been wanting to get to a pumpkin patch, but due to homework, busy soccer schedules, and a busy life in general, we never got around to it.  Our Saturday in Vernal though made up for all of that and it was so good I am making sure a weekend in Vernal becomes a fall tradition. 

We started things off with pizza with cousins and freshly homemade chocolate chips cookies.  Gretchen was a big fan of the cookies and made it very well known that anytime someone walked through the kitchen with her that she expected a cookie.  



Next up was apple picking.  A perfect fall activity.







That was followed by more fun in the backyard with football, leaves, hammock, and swings. 




Marshall and Rachel so rarely get along that this had to be documented!



After Becky cleaned the apples, we made fresh apple cider.  It was a hit!  The grandkids all loved it and were able to be very involved.  









As if things couldn't get any more fun, next up was frosting sugar cookies.  







To cap things off, the girls got horseback rides in the setting evening sun.  Magical.  




We drove home on Sunday and once again everything went well.  I am proud of myself for making the drive, and I am so glad I did!  It was a perfect weekend.  







No comments: