Monday, September 30, 2024

The Leake's Week-August 18, 2024

 Hello!


Here's a recap of our last two weeks, I may or may not send out our vacation email-haha!  It is still not finished!  Blarg.  But for now, here are the goings-on of our last two weeks.

*Mini Vykelles for Gretchen.  Gretchen has a friend who's oldest sister is a Vykelle, so Grizz and a handful of her friends signed up for Mini Vykelles.  I have never been able to convince Rachel to do this, but Gretchen was an immediate YES when I asked her about it.  She missed the first day of the clinic because we were flying home, but she went to the second day and had the best time.  They grouped the dancers by age, and each different age group learned their own dance.  A couple of days later they performed during halftime at the football scrimmage.  I dropped her off in the gym at 5:30 and she got her cute Mini Vykelle shirt.  Just before kick-off at 6:00 there was lightning and rain so everyone made a bee-line for the cars to wait out the rain and 30 minute lightning delay.  Richard and the other girls made it to the school and we all hung out in the van together.  (Marshall was at high altitude camp with the cross country team)  Anyway, the game finally started and we ventured to the football field.  Bridget and Rachel were less than thrilled that we dragged them to a high school football scrimmage, but thankfully, the clock never stopped, so it was just an actual 24 minutes of game time!  The Mini Vykelles were so darling, and let me tell you, Gretchen was having the time of her life out there.  It was so fun to watch her.  They had the different groups in clumps around the field and when it was their turn, they ran to their position at the center of the field, did their dance, and ran back.  Gretchen was in the back on the end, but she was dancing with her whole heart and in the zone.  Almost all the girls had their hair pulled back with big bows and styled so cute, but Gretchen insisted on wearing her hair down and you just saw this little girl out there with hair all around her, dancing her heart out.  It still just makes me smile thinking about it.  A fun night cheering on little Gretchen.  




*Rachel turned 11!!!  It was Rachel's birthday two days after we got home.  The evening before her birthday was our only open evening that week so we went out to Olive Garden as a family for her birthday dinner.  It was such a great time.  Even though we had just been on vacation, because it involved two different hotel rooms and our trip ended with a massive family reunion, it was just so nice to come back together and just be our little family.  The food was great, kids were happy, we talked about our trip and all the things we love about Rachel.  On her actual birthday morning, we had a 30-minute window when all the kids would be home so she could open her presents.  She was so patient to wait, as she had gotten up quite a bit earlier that morning!  She opened presents in my bed while we FaceTimed Richard, who was already at work.  She got some clothes, hair things, books, and per her request, London related things.  She was a happy camper!  Per her request, we did donuts and chocolate milk for breakfast.  Later that morning, she and I went to Nothing Bundt Cakes-she picked out a cake for our family for that evening and we placed an order for her cake for her party on Saturday.  Around 1:00, all the kids were back home and we had another open window in our day, so we went to my parents' house and I cooked up a very, very late birthday brunch.  We had waffles, baked eggs, and strawberries.  Rachel was a complete delight, she even helped me make the meal and set the table!  It was a fun way to celebrate her.  When we got back home, the girls and I watched part one of the Simone Biles documentary on Netflix (very good!) and then Rachel was off to dance!  It was her first day of Disney choreography and she was very excited.  I picked her up from that at 7:30, we shared a treat with her dance friends, and then I took her to YW's with me.  We were swimming at a neighbor's pool for our activity, so I brought Rachel along for the fun.  The girls were so sweet with her, especially the older teenagers.  When they found out it was her birthday, they had everyone sing and invited her into the pool to play with them.  I think it made Rachel feel extra special.  It was also fun for me to be at that activity and have two of my girls with me.  The girls and I got home and got Gretchen home from the Howell's around 9:00.  Richard and Marshall got home about 9:30 from a tournament soccer game-the only time we were all together that day!  We finally got candles in Rachel's cake, sang happy birthday, ate the cake and sent everyone to bed!  Whew!  Rachel told me that night she had a great birthday.  I sure hope so.  It was a day of insanity, but we tried to make her feel special and loved and I hope we were successful.  





*Rachel Louise at 11.  Gosh, I love that girl.  At 11, Rachel's imagination is alive and well, and that makes me so happy.  With our remodel, she has turned her bedroom into Barbie Central.  She has bought multiple Barbies with her own money this summer as she is making all sorts of family groupings and has needed to bulk up her boy options with the Barbies!  She has also added babies and even though her room raises my blood pressure, I do love to look around at what she has created each day.  Rachel has always loved creating little home spaces and organizing things in that way.  She just pulls anything and everything she can from around the house to make little bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, etc.  She has pillowcases folded neatly for beds and washcloths and hair scrunchies and all sorts of things.  It really is masterful.  Rachel got super into make-up at the beginning of 2024, but wore it less and less as the summer went on and when I looked at her on the first day of sixth grade, I noticed she was only wearing mascara-I will take her any way.  She is loving having her ears pierced and has done a great job taking care of them.  She gets to change her earrings for the first time in about three weeks.  Rachel loves her friends, and boys, but she also loves being home.  She still loves to dance and has navigated not having Sara on her team very well, for which I am so relieved.  She is Disney bound in October and Nationals bound end of June.  She has spent hours at the dance studio since her birthday learning choreography and she has been diligent at coming home and practicing.  Rachel remains my snuggler, and while it can sometimes be a little overwhelming, I will take it.  Rachel continues to be spicey and sweet.  She does not hold any of her feelings back, you know exactly where you stand with Rachel.  We simply adore her.

*Last birthday thing...we did a friend party for Rachel last Saturday evening.  Due to our home still being in complete construction chaos, we got creative and came up with a party Rachel felt good about.  All the parents dropped their girls off at the Farmington Pool at 4:00 pm.  They swam for two hours and had a great time.  Rachel, within minutes of being there, worked up the courage to jump off the high dive.  I was so proud of her!  She claims she didn't like it, but she jumped from that high dive multiple times that evening!  After swimming, the girls changed and spent quite a bit of time in the locker room doing their hair!  It gave me a great laugh, definitely tweens.  A wonderful mom came and met us at the pool to help me drive all the girls to my parents' house.  Richard was working and since my parents were hosting the last half of the party, I didn't want to ask them for one more thing!  We got to my parents' house about 6:30 and Dominoes had just been delivered!  The girls spent the next 2 1/2 hours eating dinner, playing, opening presents, having cake and playing some more.  Rachel was nice and let Gretchen tag along for whole party, bless her.  Rachel seemed to have a great time and I am so glad that everyone she invited was able to come.  She has a great group of friends, and it's a big group, which so far has served her well.  All their gifts for her were so thoughtful and were excellent proof that they know Rachel and know her well.  I am thankful for each of them!  

*High altitude cross country camp for Marshall!  The day after Rachel's birthday, Marshall and I were out the door at 6:20 am.  The team was doing their morning work out, having breakfast at the park, and then hitting the road for high altitude camp in Richfield, Utah.  :)  I helped with the breakfast and I am so glad I was able to do that.  Cross country kids are fantastic and so are their parents!  It was fun to be there and help and keep my eye on Marshall.  When I dropped him off at this last year, I cried all the way home.  He was a little freshman, hardly knew a soul, and I just sent him off on a brand new adventure.  This year, every time I looked at him, he was with people, talking, laughing, and looked so happy and very involved...not on the periphery, where he often chooses to put himself in certain situations.  Total night and day difference from last year.  Cross country has been, hands down, the best thing he has ever done.  Before I left the park, I gave him a big hug, and left without a tear, feeling much better than last year!  Marshall got home late in the afternoon on Saturday and on Sunday he gave us a full run down of his adventures.  They obviously did lots of running, and lots of hills, but also had loads of fun.  They floated down the Severe River and Marshall loved that.  They had team meetings, put on their own Olympic Games, and Marshall had some good one-on-one with his head coach.  We are glad he went and we are glad he is back!  Should be a good year of racing!  

*Speaking of racing, the team had their first race on Wednesday morning.  Richard had the day off and since school didn't start until the next day, we took all the girls.  This was met with loads of resistance, but Richard and I stood firm and insisted they come!  It was the pre-region race, so it just consisted of all the schools in Viewmont's region.  It was just at Layton Commons Park and started at 9:00 am.  The girls raced first and we got up there during their race.  Viewmont is the defending region champions for both boys and girls.  The girls ended up placing second, but were only 14 points behind first place.  The boys took first with an almost perfect score.  It was a super fun race to watch, the girls didn't complain once during the boys race.  It was fast and fun and packed with Viewmont at the front.  Obviously, it was also super fun to cheer on Marshall!  He came home from altitude camp with a lateral calf strain, so he has been working through that.  He started strong, but his calf wouldn't let him keep his pace up.  He came in at 18:33, which is not his fastest time on that course, but considering his calf, it was okay.  He took 52nd out of 164 runners. and 23rd for Viewmont.  It will be a fun cross country season!





*Alllllllll the school prep.  We packed in back to school shopping and haircuts the first three days this week.  It was exhausting.  Haha!  I do not recommend.  Next year, I hope that we are much more on top of life!  All the kids got fresh new cuts for school.  All the girls just did trims, so nothing drastic.  And Marshall, we finally convinced him to shave his whole face.  What?!  So crazy.  I mean, he probably won't need to shave his face again for weeks, but so crazy.  We got everyone some new outfits and any needed school supplies as those rolled in via email.  The high school did a sophomore orientation while Marshall was out of town, so I went to that and picked up his computer and got a parking pass and a map of the school.  I tried to convince him to let me take him over to the high school earlier this week to walk around and find his classes, but he insisted he would be fine.  He ended up taking a picture of the map and just used that to navigate the school and he told me he hasn't gotten lost yet!  The junior high didn't do a back to school night this year, which I liked, but it also felt weird!  The younger girls and I went to the elementary back to school night on Wednesday evening.  Rachel has a young teacher who is brand new to the school, so that was good to meet her.  Gretchen has Mrs. Williams, who has now taught all of our girls!   Oh, one fun thing the girls and I did do is we went and got manicures.  That was fun, I am sure it will become a tradition!  




*Last x-ray for Rachel!  Back six months ago Rachel had a follow-up x-ray for her fracture, but instead of getting the all clear, we got some concern over her growth plate.  I have been carrying that concern around for six months!  Because they were a tad worried, they had us schedule another x-ray six months down the road.  Well, the day finally came and thankfully, Richard was able to come with us because he had the day off.  Richard was a great sport.  She did not want to do this, sweet girl was worried.  They took three different images of her leg/legs and she finally got the all clear!  Richard also completely agrees, so we have let that worry totally go.  Whew!  




*Lots of dance:  Rachel and Gretchen have spent hours at the dance studio the last two weeks.  Rachel is learning dances for the Disney trip in October and then dances for competitions.  Gretchen's team has been learning two dances.  Gretchen has been great about going, this is a huge jump for her, and I am proud of her for giving it a go.  

*Marshall is done with soccer!  Yep, you read that right.  After playing soccer for the last nine years, he decided to be done.  We tried to have him be done this spring and not try out again, but he was not ready to walk away.  He has enjoyed his new coach, but it was clear to Richard and me that soccer was no longer a priority for him.  He missed a lot of soccer practices this summer.  Last week, he played in two games of a soccer tournament and went to cross country camp.  We asked him to take the week and really think hard about soccer.  Picture his life and school year without soccer and with it and try to make a decision.  Last Sunday, after talking to Richard and me, he decided to be done.  His coach has been so understanding, and I cannot tell you the relief I feel!  I haven't specifically asked Marshall about it, but I am certain he feels some relief too.  It was just such a challenge to juggle academics, running and soccer.  I am so glad we have eliminated one thing!




*Have I mentioned I have a new calling???  I am the second counselor in the new young women's presidency.  I am so excited!  I am serving alongside exceptional women.  And from now until January, Bridget is in my class, and then in January Bridget moves to the next class, but I get Rachel!  Yay!  Should be wonderful!

*First days of school:  I will just say, everyone seems to be doing great!  Our morning are the most complex we have ever experienced, but we will get the hang of it.  Marshall leaves for the bus each morning at 6:45ish and has to get all the way down to the west side of Main St. so that is a bit of a haul for him.  Once he has his license though, he can just hop in the car and go!  Bridget leaves at 7:37 :) but starting this week she has jazz band at 7:00 am three days a week!  Rachel has a student council meeting every Monday at 8:00 am, so we are kind of all over the place.  I guess that is what happens when your kids get older!  








Alright, I'm calling it good!  Can I get better at these emails this fall???  Only time will tell!

Love each one of you.

Richard, Jenny, Marshall, Bridget, Rachel, and Gretchen :)

Ah, quick house update.  I lost it this week and our builder and project manager did not get the nicest text from me, but I will say, it was warranted!  Finish carpentry has been moving SO slow and with mistakes.  According to our most recent timeline, finish carpentry was supposed to be finished on Friday so painting could start tomorrow.  On Thursday morning before I took my younger girls to school I sent a long and frustrated text, and guess what happened...we have had workers in our house, working full days, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!  Are they done yet, nope!  Will painting start tomorrow, nope!  But, huge progress has been made and I am holding out hope that paint can still start later in the week.  What a journey.  Can't yet say that I recommend it!  

No comments: