After my family's two day stay with us we all piled in two vans (minus Richard, he took the train down and met us the next evening) and drove to Nauvoo. We spent a couple of days there and enjoyed every minute of it.
When I was 13 my family visited Nauvoo. Since then only my Dad, one brother, and myself have been back. My two youngest brothers were so little when we were there last they probably didn't remember much. It was great to be there this time around with all of us being much older and knowing more church history, and of course, to see the Nauvoo Temple. It was all very special.
Our first stop was Carthage. The sister missionary who gave our tour was from Korea. She was so sweet. It was late afternoon and not very busy so after the tour we were able to sit on the benches and enjoy the special spirit that is there.
The next day we spent visiting all of the Nauvoo sites. Seeing as I had my kids in tow, I didn't get to see a lot, and I also didn't take a lot of pictures of what we did see, but it was still great. I was able to visit all of the Joseph Smith sites, Brigham Young's home, Wilford Woodruff's home, and the blacksmith. In between all of that the kids got plenty of fun and relaxing time in.
In the last three pictures you may notice a wrapper attached to Marshall's hand. In the blacksmith shop Marshall, of course, got one of those prairie diamond rings. We got him the smallest size, but within five minutes of wearing it he lost it in the grass. My Dad, Stacie, and I spent a good ten minutes trying to find that thing. Once we found it my Dad came up with the idea to put a wrapper around it to 1) keep it on his finger and 2) make it easier to find if it fell off again. This little trick has worked wonders and I am happy to report it made it through the rest of the vacation and we still have it!
Our third and final day in Nauvoo was a visit to the temple. My youngest brother Jordan did baptisms there and then he baby-sat our kids while the rest of us did an endowment session. My brother, Kevin, will be leaving on his mission in just a few weeks and this was his first time going through the temple. It was so neat to be able to share that experience with Kevin, and in such a historic temple.
| My four handsome brothers. |
| Marshall loves temple doors. |
It was a great couple of days in Nauvoo. It is such a special place. I'm so grateful for the faith and sacrifice of the early members of the church. It was wonderful to be in Nauvoo and be reminded of all that they did.
3 comments:
What a special experience. That will be an awesome memory for your family for years to come - especially since you got to mark the occasion with Kevin's endowment.
i can't believe you were in nauvoo and you didn't come visit. the next time you decide to go there you can stay at our place or at least stop by to say hi. trips with family are always so fun. your kids are getting so big!
i just did a blog catchup. That is wonderful that your entire family made it to Milwaukee and that you guys all had so much fun! It looked like you planed their time with you very well. I always felt responsible for everyones entertainment when they came to visit us in Milwaukee. You did a great job. Bridgette and Marshall just keep getting more adorable too. I sure do miss you guys!
Post a Comment