Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jamestown

While in Virginia, we spent a morning in Jamestown and Marshall LOVED it! They have an excellent Indian Village, replicas of the ships that came over with John Smith, and the Jamestown Settlement. Here are the pictures from our morning out.

Marshall was fascinated with these faces that were carved into wooden poles.

Grinding the corn.

And now for the ships. Marshall was in heaven on these. We probably spent at least 30 minutes on the first ship.

Marshall loved these little rope things with faces on them. He asked to have his picture taken by almost every one. I will only include a couple of these pictures. :)

As you can tell, it was pretty windy that day. This picture was taken on the biggest ship so we couldn't feel the waves while on the boat; hence, Richard is in the following pictures. I was surprised when Richard joined us on the next ship, which was significantly smaller so there was a fair amount of rocking due to the waves. Richard only lasted about two minutes on that thing before he knew it was time to get off or he would be sorry.

The shooting cannons (as Marshall calls them)!

This tour guide was awesome, and so great with Marshall. He let Marshall hold a cannon ball as well as other things that they would shoot, but I don't remember the names of any of those other things...oops!

Steering the ship.

Another shooting cannon! (I just loves these little cheesy smiles!)

Next stop was the Jamestown Settlement replica. Marshall was able to try on some old fashioned protective gear.

We did a pretty quick walk through of this place. By this time, Marshall was tuckered out and ready for a snack, so was Grandpa Bob. :)

Jamestown really was a very cool place. They also had an excellent museum that we quickly walked through on our way out. It was very well done and I told Richard that I would love to go back there someday without children. :)


No comments: