Thursday, December 15, 2011

Williamsburg

While in Virginia we spent our first two days in Williamsburg. I had been there once before when I was 17, but Richard had never been so it was fun to experience it with him.

We toured the jail, capitol, Wythe home, and the governor's palace. We also visited the shoemaker, blacksmith, silversmith, cabinet maker, wheelwright, cooper, and others that I seem to be forgetting at the moment. Marshall was a trooper through it all, not a vacation that you would typically think of taking a three year old on. But, at the end of the first day as we were getting in the car Marshall exclaimed, "That was so much fun!" Richard and I were both shocked. So, at the end of the second day we asked Marshall if he had fun. His response, "Yes, I had fun with the rocks and the dirt." Perfect.

Here are a slew of pictures...
I just realized that I did not get a single picture of the interior of any building. I guess I was too busy trying to keep an eye on my kids. Oh well. :)

Backyard of the Wythe Home.

Back of the Governor's Palace.

Marshall asked to have his picture taken in front of these two wagons. I couldn't resist his smile.

We pretty much let Marshall dictate the length of time we spent in any one place. The blacksmith won the award for keeping his attention the longest. I think we lasted about ten minutes in that little shop.

The Wythe Home. Lovely. Interesting facts: George Wythe was the first Virginian to sign the Declaration of Independence. He was the first professor in law in America. He is credited with educating 28 men who helped to shape early America; namely, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and John Marshall.

The shoemaker shop.

Some fancy gingerbread decorations, pretty impressive!

The courthouse.

We all took our turn in the stocks. No fun! Marshall was thrilled.


Cannons! Just what boys like. :)

And lest we forget that Bridget was on this vacation, this sweet little girl spent a lot of time doing this...

and this...

And now for some random pictures...

Every morning USA Today was placed outside our door. Marshall was quite fascinated by the newspaper since we don't get one. He took to sleeping with it most nights and it always joined him for breakfast. :)

And this is how we found Marshall the next night, all the drawers open, crazy kid.








No comments: