Monday, January 6, 2014

Speedy Little Devil

This is a MAJOR back-track, like all the way back to September, and it is a MAJOR brag, I'm not going to lie.
 
 
 
Marshall's school had a Run4It fundraising event the end of September.  It was held during school and each grade got 20 minutes on the track to run/walk and family and friends could pledge money for each lap that was completed.  I was a volunteer for the event and I am still kicking myself that I did not even think to bring my camera.  As soon as I saw these 18 little junior kindergarten kids walking in a single file line from the school to the track all wearing matching, oversized Run4It t-shirts with papers to track the laps clipped to the back of their shirts I instantly regretted not having my camera.  Oh well, moving on...
 
These kids were lined up on the track and the bell sounded to kick off their 20 minutes.  Immediately all 18 kids took off running.  Marshall and his cute friend Gian (a little Filipino boy who has to be a whole head shorter than Marshall) quickly moved to the front of the pack.  My job was to mark their cards as soon as they finished each lap so I was right there to give Marshall a high five and cheer him on.  Marshall and Gian just kept sticking with each other and never, ever stopped running.  It wasn't long before they started lapping kids.  After Marshall completed his fourth lap I told him he had just ran an entire mile.  Another mom by me said, "He just ran a mile?  Its only been nine minutes!"  I went from being thrilled to being elated.  My five year old had just run a mile in nine minutes! 
 
It was shortly after this that Gian started to lag behind, but he never stopped running.  Marshall did the next three laps all by himself.  He never walked once.  In the end Marshall ran seven laps in 18 1/2 minutes.  He and Gian were the only ones who ran the entire time.  Marshall ran the most laps out of all the junior kindergarten kids and he got to wear this Run4It crown for a day at school. 
 
I might be more thrilled with this accomplishment than Marshall is.  Really, just typing this I am beaming.  He can be my little running partner this summer and I'll be trying to keep up with him!  Maybe I'll have him push the double stroller.  :)


No comments: